Atlantic salmon info and ID poster for Credit River

Here is where you can talk about anything floatfishing related

Moderators: Ironstone74, Spitz, chromer

WAMO

Re: Atlantic salmon info and ID poster for Credit River

Post by WAMO » 04 Sep 2010, 11:47

landed one (eastern tribs) last Saturday about 6-7 lbs female.

Caused debate between a buddy and myself. Gill plate mottled spots like a brown, body closer to a silver 'bowie'. sorry no pics. I landed an 7-8 lbs brown 15min later... the difference was then clear.

WAMO

ritz

Post by ritz » 09 Sep 2010, 08:03

John - I was walking the Credit 2 weeks back and came across the after math of a beautiful 24 "+ male atlantic that was snagged out and had it's gill ripped emmidiately with no thought.Witness informed the person of what he had done and he left leaving the fish on shore.The MNR was contacted - you may have already recieved this report.
It sounds like this person just didn't know better.If one is not an avid fisherman /sportsman and does not belong to any "circles"......Is there enough visable access to such info?? Maybe there should be huge posters or p.o.p signage put up in all stores(big +small) that carry tackle
along the Lake O shoreline?? Not everyone is on the Internet or is info savey - and a fish is dead.
p

Brett68

Post by Brett68 » 09 Sep 2010, 23:39

Makes me want to vomit.... :x

John from CRAA

Post by John from CRAA » 10 Sep 2010, 00:01

Thanks for the notes. Great to hear more fish being caught. Sad to hear people still killfish without a thought or ID.

As for the Credit, we have about 20 big ID posters and signs with ID info on them, at main access points and at main fishing holes. Hard to miss them. I hear they have saved quite a few fish. This is an education process!

Thanks,

John
President and Chair,
Credit River Anglers Association

"Give a little back to the resource we all love"

siciliano

Post by siciliano » 24 Sep 2010, 13:03

WAMO wrote:landed one (eastern tribs) last Saturday about 6-7 lbs female.

Caused debate between a buddy and myself. Gill plate mottled spots like a brown, body closer to a silver 'bowie'. sorry no pics. I landed an 7-8 lbs brown 15min later... the difference was then clear.

WAMO

Hey guys new to this board,

Was out yesterday and caught a few of what I assumed was an Atlantic salmon smolt. 14" and about 1lb-2lb. A buddy of mine could have sworn his life away that it was a lil' steelhead. Anyways it was a quick catch and release regardless. I knew it was an Atlantic though, Tail had a fork, but like all smolts they're fins are badly nipped coming fall, so he was like its just nipped, had no red cheeks (his argument was smolts don't have those colors yet), no black dots, it was straight chrome, with whitish mouth and dorsal fins?

...but the question I have does anybody have any pictures of different kind of atlantic smolts and other species? I've checked all over the internet and next to impossible to find clear pictures. a lot of guys can't tell Donkey from face, unless its pictured right infront of them with clear differences

troutmandillon

Post by troutmandillon » 04 Nov 2010, 20:52

iv caught alot of little ones in duffins all under a lb
drift all day

spinnerdoc

Post by spinnerdoc » 22 Jan 2011, 10:31

hi john , first of, thanks for the great work that you and the craa are doing for the credit river.i am a local and can really appreciate all your work. i have respect for the credit. i noticed that a lot of members bash the credit, it does not deserve it, sure it is over run by idiots at certain times of the year but i've met a lot of good fishermen there and that really care for the fishery. idiots can be found anywhere. To me bashing the credit is like an ex saying that your sister or mother or grandma is no good bec things didn't quite work out.

getting back on topic, i saw 2 dead atlantics last fall around mid october, both looked healthy and not gutted or anything. one was a good 24 inches and the other 18 inches. both were female btw.
hope this helps.

once again thanks for your work.

John from CRAA

Post by John from CRAA » 24 Jan 2011, 14:38

Thanks for the Atlantic note. Did you happen to get any pics? I had a couple reported last fall...maybe same ones? Can you pm me where you saw them.

Thanks,

John
President and Chair,
Credit River Anglers Association

"Give a little back to the resource we all love"

Miller

Post by Miller » 03 Apr 2011, 20:42

I dont know if this is something your monitoring also but this was caught this saturday. If you want any other info let me know it was 29.5in and full of eggs. Landed snapped a quick pic and released.

steelheader360

Post by steelheader360 » 09 Apr 2011, 03:22

NFN wrote:Absolutely beautiful pictures! John can you send one of those posters to the SCG&F? If they are catching them off Port D perhaps we could get one laminated and put on the ramp.

St.Catharines Game and Fish Association
61 Lighthouse Road
St.Catharines, ON
L2N 7P4
905-937-6335

Thanks
Dan

I know this isnt really about this topic but I am wondering how or weather you are suppose to report the people breaking the rules. Who or How do you report it while you are out fishing? I often see people at the erindale damn during bass spawning season taking the bass wit the eggs and I have no idea who to tell....most these are newbies not there for the sport really....

Ive been fishing the dam since 5 years and I always see 20-30 people each year taking the bass with eggs....

troutmandillon

Post by troutmandillon » 09 Apr 2011, 16:18

steelheader360 call the minastry or simply the cops
drift all day

blaque

Post by blaque » 06 Mar 2012, 11:29

I can also verify 2 atlantic catches down here in WNY this past fall as well.

RiverNinja

Post by RiverNinja » 17 Sep 2012, 08:54

John,
This one is for you bud, :)
(from this weekend)

A friends catch.. :mrgreen:

IamNickEvans

Post by IamNickEvans » 27 Sep 2012, 23:40

I was fishing Norval last night, I saw a small atlantic, about 3lbs. First one I have seen in a long time.

Steeliemat

Post by Steeliemat » 12 Nov 2012, 21:13

Biggest waste of money to stock these fish. I am on the river from beginning of August through April and never see any Atlantics.