Evaluating tackle shops from Owen Sound to London to Oshawa

Here is where you can talk about anything floatfishing related

Moderators: Ironstone74, Spitz, chromer

Fishaholic333

Evaluating tackle shops from Owen Sound to London to Oshawa

Post by Fishaholic333 » 31 Oct 2018, 11:29

I've noticed on other fishing forums that it takes some interesting topics to kick start activity; hopefully this maybe such a topic!

Focus Questions maybe:

-Does the tackle shop stock enough on its shelves while catering to float fishing and/or other styles of fishing?

-Is the owner/salespersons knowledgeable enough in the various fishing applications?

-Are the sales people polite, attentive and prompt to offer service?

-Does the store offer fair market prices with its products?

(Feel free to offer other pertinent focus questions to evaluate these stores)

-Fletchers

First off sad to have heard Fletchers has closed this past year due to alignments/death. The old man and his wife were always helpful, friendly and social when l entered the store. Besides Aikmans, Fletchers was highly qualified to servicing Cardinal and other vintage reels; he managed to even source Cardinal aluminum spare spools (in #3/#4 sizes). They had many, many old lures for sale, especially that hot one that couldn't be found anywhere. Their prices were fair imho.

Never been to Natural Sports in Kirchner yet, that l remember anyway but l have met the crew at one of our sportsman shows. They certainly stocked a wide variety of beads and equipment for us pinners. Knowledgeable staff for sure.

-Hook Line & Sinker in Guelph (Ray)

Been there many times and I'd have to say Ray is one knowledgeable guy. He stocks a variety of beads from many companies and even has his own machinist that creates some amazing center-pins. Al.Ts reels are the "creme de la creme" as well as Tom from Angelling Specs.
I'd say, in my opinion, of all the stores I've been in thus far, Ray is the most knowledgeable of his stock.
Hook Line & sinker's prices are fair market.

For now I've said enough and will input more towards Angelling Specialties, Bronte, Gagnon and others at another time.

Hopefully this can get the ball rolling.
Last edited by Fishaholic333 on 31 Oct 2018, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
The Drug is in the tug!

Fishaholic333

Re: Evaluating tackle shops from Owen Sound to London to Oshawa

Post by Fishaholic333 » 31 Oct 2018, 16:45

-Bronte Tackle Shop

Furthermore, I'd say Bronte Tackle on Lakeshore just east of Miss'ga Rd in Miss'ga has so, so in stock. He does have beads, pegs and roe bag tackle. The best of the best in his store is definitely behind the counter as he also carries Megabass iTo 110 crank baits that are deadly for various species. Frank's prices for them are somewhat inline with others, maybe a buck or two more than Fishing World for example but nonetheless he does carry those higher-end lures.

This time of year all his stock is very limited; mind you as l'd guess it costs to keep the shelves full and many of his patrons constantly attempt to haggle his prices down. (according to him) He does although stock spin doctors, trolling spoons, etc for the Ontario Salmon Derby boaters; inclusive of self.

More to come
The Drug is in the tug!

mitch

Post by mitch » 31 Oct 2018, 19:28

Being from Kingston there are no local store front retailers that have a good line of float fishing gear, with the exception of those in Pulaski. Being the Canadian $ is not favourable to wrt US purchases, I purchase on line. I do spend a week fishing the Grey County flows and if I am short in supplies, I can always find what I need at J&S in Port Elgin.

Fishaholic333

Post by Fishaholic333 » 31 Oct 2018, 23:56

Thx for your input, Ive been to that Port Elgin tackle Shop great store and major selection of lures, spoons and such for sure
The Drug is in the tug!