Islander reel backing

A place to talk about all things gear and rigging related.

Moderator: Spitz

earlyriser

Islander reel backing

Post by earlyriser » 17 Feb 2019, 09:04

Hello

I have an islander steelheader IS float reel. I just removed all the backing and line. Its been on a few years since I have not been out fishing much. But it a new year and my plans are to get out more.
I was surprised on how much backing and line was on this reel. It has a deep spool. The question I have is “ how much backing should I put on and main line”? I have 30 Lb, 100 yards of fly line backing and 10 pound of blood run , 300 yards line. Is this enough backing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

flyrodder46

Re: Islander reel backing

Post by flyrodder46 » 17 Feb 2019, 10:14

I started using a cork backing a few years ago on all my reels, and it works great. I use 1/8" cork sheets from a hobby store and cut them to fit the spool snug on both sides and in length. Depending on the spool depth I use 2-3 layers, when I first did it I used double sided tape to secure it in position, but have since stopped using the tape as once the cork is in place and the main line is added the cork will conform to the spool and stay in place. The cork is lighter than dacron backing, virtually waterproof, and will last for years.
If you are interested I have blog on another site with pic's.
Try it and I am sure you will like it as much as others have.

D

earlyriser

Post by earlyriser » 17 Feb 2019, 15:00

That’s sounds interesting. Where Do I find it?

Thanks

flyrodder46

Post by flyrodder46 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:01

Here is a link to the CPT forum and my thread on there.
http://www.centerpintalk.com/forum/show ... cking+cork

I also have it on my blog on the Michigan-Sportsman site, just look up flyrodder46.

D