Cork Reel Backing

A place to talk about all things gear and rigging related.

Moderator: Spitz

flyrodder46

Cork Reel Backing

Post by flyrodder46 » 18 Feb 2019, 10:19

A couple of folks have asked about this so I will try to get it transferred here.

flyrodder46's blog
Cork Install In Place of Backing
Published by flyrodder46 in the blog flyrodder46's blog. Views: 0
I got around to installing the cork on one of my older reels today, so here is how I do it. I am not the best of photographers but you should be able to follow the procedure.

1. Measure the width of the spool and determine how many cork layers you want to put on the spool. I cut the cork just a tad wider so that it fits tight against both sides of the spool.

2. Wrap the first layer of cork onto the spool and mark the cork for cutting to length needed. I then wrap and check for correct length.

3. Cut about 2" of double side tape and attach to one end of the cork, place on spool and wrap tightly around spool bring the loose end up to lay snug against the first edge, apply pressure to cork to seal down.
Since starting this I have stopped using the tape, and it works just fine as long as cork is a tight fit.

4. Repeat step 2 and 3 for each layer of cork.

I have been adding about 10-15 yards of standard 20# backing over the cork and then attach my mainline. I feel that this might help to keep the mainline from bedding down along the edge of the cork and for us old fogey's act as a warning if you do happen to run into a screamer that wants to take all your line.

Since I first posted this a few years ago, others have suggested using the 2-3 mm foam sheet material that is available at most craft stores. One advantage would be that you could color coordinate with your reel or rod. However, it is not as durable as cork in my way of thinking.

Sorry the photo's I have on a couple of other sites did not transfer, but I think you can get the idea.

D